315.472.7806
Services
315.472.7806
Home
ArchitectureArchitectureNYS Fairgrounds Exposition CenterThe-MarshallOnondaga Lake AmphitheaterWelch Allyn - Building ConsolidationWashington Station - Class A BuildingCENTRO HubAFRC FarmingdaleSUNY Institute of TechnologyCamp Smith ReadinessElmira Meier HallElmira College - Cowles HallClay Town HallSUNY Morrisville Norwich CampusInstitute for Veterans and Military Families - Syracuse UniversitySyracuse Technology GardenInterior DesignInterior DesignSUNY Polytechnic InstituteColgate Campus CenterClay Eye CareEmpower FCU Corporate HeadquartersSyracuse Tech GardenSolvay PaperboardPrivate ResidenceLe Moyne College Dining HallLe Moyne College PlazaCornell General Office BuildingCornell Purcell Community CenterIthaca College Gannett CenterSUNY ESF Baker Laboratory RehabilitationWashington StationElmira College - Meier HallWelch Allyn - Building ConsolidationAFRC FarmingdaleCamp Smith Readiness CenterClay Town HallOBrien & Gere Engineering IncLandscape ArchitectureLandscape ArchitectureOnondaga Lake AmphitheaterChristian Brothers AcademyElmira CollegeOneida Shores ParkNyack Beach State ParkSUNY Polytechnic InstitutePoughkeepsie Bus Transit HubStaybridge SuitesSyracuse University - Sims DriveWelch Allyn - Building ConsolidationStructural EngineeringStructural EngineeringOnondaga Lake AmphitheaterGeotechnical EngineeringGeotechnical EngineeringOnondaga Lake Amphitheater3-D Building Information Modeling (BIM)3-D Building Information Modeling (BIM)SustainabilitySustainabilityWashington StationWelch Allyn - Building Consolidation
Services

Elmira College - Cowles Hall

Cowles Hall is an existing 5-story, 70,000 SF, c.1855 structure (listed on the National Register of Historic Places). As the first building on campus, Cowles Hall once served as the entire physical plant for the campus with student rooms, parlors, dining facilities, laboratories, libraries, literary societies, and a chapel.

 

The College decided to return Cowles Hall’s Terrace & Main Level to its original campus-wide public functions by repairing/stabilizing the structure and reconstructing the building’s interior. The upper levels are to be renovated at a future date.

 

This restoration project was defined and included a historic structures report, programming, structural analysis and stabilization, exterior reconstruction, selective removals, terrace and main level renovation, fire protection and code analysis, asbestos abatement, engineering as-built drawings, and improvements for handicapped accessibility.

 

The building program included restoration/repairs to the existing exterior walls; replacement of dilapidated wood structures (roof, bearing walls and floors) with steel and concrete framing; and a new 4-story, 3,345 SF chapel inside an open interior space created by gutting existing floor framing.